Welcome to the twentieth episode of the Create My Independence Podcast. In the nineteenth episode, we covered how to identify your degree of independence. If you missed that episode and want to hear more, head back and listen to that episode.
In today’s episode, we’re going over the surprisingly short path to building and selling your expertise. I didn’t come out of the womb being a WordPress guru. I had to learn every bit of my business and internet marketing skills from scratch. In fact, I learned most of them in the past 12 months. I believe that the shortcut to building expertise that you can sell (and learning how to sell it) is to TAKE ACTION. This episode is all about my story and the lessons I learned throughout the past decade that brought me to a point what I’m making consistent independent income every month from selling my expertise.
Here’s What I Talk About in This Episode
The story of me building my expertise in internet marketing:
- A look at my level of knowledge before I started my career.
- A look at what I learned while at my 9-5 job in internet marketing.
- A look at what happened after I left my job and jumped in head first into entrepreneurship.
The truth is… I learned 80% of what I know about selling my expertise in the past three years.
The steps I went through in building my expertise (and learning how to sell it):
- I started the blog (didn’t know anything before that).
- I learned about hosting, domains and WordPress.
- I attended FinCon 2012 and learned how to represent myself (HUGE).
- I sort of stayed stagnant for a year.
- I jumped in head first and started building things and taking action (which enabled me to learn things FAST).
What now qualifies me to sell my expertise:
- I built a blog from nothing to 20,000 page views per month (which now makes a consistent income of $500 a month by itself).
- I built personal relationships with 500+ people (many of them with significant online influence).
- I built a niche site, www.howtousemint.com that’s generating 2,000 page views a month and is ranked REALLY WELL on Google.
- I built another niche site, www.howtousequickbase.com, that is laser focused and brings in consulting deals occasionally.
- I built my own online course.
- I generated $10,000 so far this year (2014) from my independent online business.
Bottom line: I went from there… to here… in less than 3 years.
The ONLY TWO STEPS you need to take to start selling your expertise too:
- Start representing yourself
- Start DOING THINGS
Ready to Pick Up a Web Hosting Account?
If you want to do it yourself and want to pick up a web hosting account for your websites, consider grabbing a Bluehost account through my affiliate link!
Head Over to iTunes and Subscribe
Head over to iTunes (at this link) and subscribe up! The more subscriptions for merrier for this podcast, as it will help it get featured as New & Noteworthy in iTunes, so please subscribe.
And Consider Leaving an Honest iTunes Review
Please give the show an honest review, not here on the blog (although you can if you want), or by email, but rather right there on iTunes by doing the following:
- Click over to iTunes
- Click the “Ratings and Reviews” tab
- Give it a start rating by clicking on 1-5 stars
- Click “Write a Review” and tell everyone your thoughts
Thanks so much!
I look forward to coming along with you on your walk, run, bike ride and/or drive to work this week!